What Is A Song Outro?
Understand what a song Outro is and learn how to emotionally affect your listener even after your song has finished.
Song Section or Solo?
The Outro is the last section of a modern song's structure. This section can be a copy of other sections of your song (depending on your music genre) or it can be an instrument solo, but regardless, it's usually a section without lyrics.
Rule: So when you think of the Outro, think "no more words" or "end of story".
Now what makes the Outro a unique section is "how" this section ends your song. Your song's Outro can end in two ways:
- Fadeout - The song's melody plays on as the track volume is slowly lowered until
- Full Stop - A sudden, abrupt ending of your song on the very next bar; instantly silent.
Fadeout Or Stop: The Outro you choose matters
Both of these Outro styles create different emotional effects on your listener:
- Effect of Fadeout - The Song/Story lives on as its melody echoes in your
mind and heart.
- Effect of Full Stop - Finality. Abrupt. Complete. Emptiness where there was once a melody.
Heartfelt songs like love ballads usually end using a fadeout to force the emotion to linger with the listener, while more aggressive or energetic songs typically end abruptly with full stops...but this isn't a rule.
Feel free to switch it up! Make sure you choose the style that matches the intent of your song.
How to Structure Your Song Outro
Let's go over several Outro examples as part of my song structure training. Cut your learning curve in half. Join my free training group to learn everything about Outro in 8 weeks.
Learn to write great songs like your favorite hits from the radio and train to become a great songwriter in four steps:
Download my free 6-step exercise manual to prepare your lyrical content
for structuring. Having your song lyric fully fleshed-out before piecing it
together is important.
- Learn important skills and tips about each song section not taught in music
theory class to get the most out of using the Song Structure Vault to structure your next song.
- Follow audio & video songwriting lessons to complete your
- Also, as a member get exclusive deals on all professional songwriting tools & courses offered on this website.
In a few weeks you'll have access to everything you need to structure great songs. You've already taken the first step by searching for this info. And reading this far shows me you have a passion for songwriting.
So take the next step. There's no cost to join and no obligation to stay.
But you need to join now because space is limited.
IMPORTANT: After you register, check your spam folder if you don't get a confirmation email within a few minutes.
Updated: April 3, 2020
Which kind of Outro would you add to your song? Post in the comments below.
If you like this page, share it!